Can You Fix Cracked Window Glass?
Whether it be a result of an accident or poor maintenance, finding a crack in window glass can seem daunting.
Let’s explore some methods for repairing a cracked glass surface. Keep in mind that not all cracks can be fixed, so be sure to inspect the damage thoroughly before attempting any repairs.
Different Types of Cracks in Glass
There are three different types of cracks that can occur in glass: surface cracks, impact cracks, and pressure cracks.
Thermal Stress Crack
Thermal stress cracks are long, thin cracks that often appear on large windows. These cracks can appear suddenly and often confuse people because there’s no obvious cause.
Cracks radiating from a centre point in a starburst pattern. The collision of a baseball or golf ball against a window could cause an impact crack.
Pressure cracks are caused by uneven pressure on the glass. They can appear as small surface cracks or large, dangerous cracks that run through the entire piece of glass.
How to Stop Cracked Glass From Spreading
Cracks in glass can be unsightly and dangerous. If left untreated, they can spread quickly and cause the glass to shatter.
You can take a few simple steps to prevent a cracked glass from spreading.
- Clean the area around the crack with a soft cloth to remove any debris that could cause the crack to spread.
- Apply a small amount of clear nail polish or super glue to the crack. Be sure to smooth it out so that it is level with the surface of the glass.
- Let the adhesive dry out completely before using the glass again.
By taking these precautionary measures, you can help to keep your glass surfaces looking smooth and safe.
When to Replace Cracked Glass
- First, replacement is generally necessary if the crack is longer than three inches or if it goes through the glass.
- Second, if the crack is in a central location or interfering with the function of the glass, replacement is also usually required.
- Finally, cracked glass can be dangerous, so when you are unsure, it is always better to err on the side of caution and replace any cracked or damaged glass by calling your window glass replacement service